Friday, March 12, 2010

The Strange Art of Writing

Writing is a tricky process and all writers do it differently. Anyone who says we all write the same way is a liar and you should destroy them before they continue to corrupt you with their lies. Just kidding, but seriously...all writers write differently.

For me, I tend to like writing the story from beginning to end. However, there are moments when I just can't seem to continue. Working on Develop, I was having trouble moving the story along. Getting away from your work is important. Distance is key. But even going away and coming back it still wouldn't come. It then dawned on me that I kept thinking about the ending. Something about it wanted me to write it now. Forget the beginning, forget the middle, write the end. So I did. Once it was finished I went back to where I left off and was able to continue.

So I've learned this: You can write out of order and always make it flow later on. Amazing how you discover something new about your own writing process everyday.