Saturday, May 22, 2010

Writer's Block Sucks

Damn, almost a month without blogging, but it happens. This is because I've been pretty busy with writing and regular work. In the meantime I have some things to share with you. Currently I'm working on two, count 'em, two novels for the fact that I've had writer's block on Develop. Sucks? Hells yes because I know where I want to go, I just can't seem to get there right now. So to take off the steam I started working on something else; something that I've always wanted to write, but since everyone and their mother has a vampire novel out there, I put it on hold. No more, I told myself. This novel is about Dracula returning in our time. Don't think this has anything to do with Dracula 2000 or the countless other Prince of Darkness books/films out there because what I'm writing I haven't seen and think the idea is pretty awesome.

Already 50 pages in, I'm loving it. For research I've been watching almost every Dracula movie I can get my hands on (many of which I own). Even those where he plays a minor role like Abbot and Costella Meet Frankenstein. Those I've already watched include Bram Stoker Dracula (with the amazing Gary Oldman), Dracula 2000 and Van Helsing. Even Charlaine Harris wrote a short story in which Dracula is looking for the perfect vampire bar to host his birthday. I, of course, have Bela Lugosi's to still watch and the Christopher Lee ones, but as I sit and watch each of these films, I can't help but think, "My God! Everyone has a different view on how this guy is." But that's one reason why I love the concept of Dracula. You can literally take him any way you want because he is so complex.

I don't plan on giving away too much about how I am perceiving him because I want to get through the rough draft then work out the kinks. But I can say that he won't be the charming prince you may have seen. He's angry since being almost killed by Jonathan Harker, Mina and the others from Bram Stoker's novel. That should tease you enough.

I'm still working on Develop at the same time, but it's just not flowing as it was before. My Dracula story is and "flow is flow" so I'm going with it.